Your Ad Here

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Things You Must Prepare






1.) Not laughing
Upperclassmen will be all over you basically 24/7, and one phrase you will hear constantly is "Smirk off." Meaning, do not smile or laugh no matter what the circumstance is. Many times, there are situations where cadres just make you laugh by doing stupid stuff in front of your squad, or they just bring up random jokes. There was this one guy in my squad who had the best military bearing, and I asked him how he constrained himself from laughing all the time. He said, during the summer, he and his cousin were standing one foot apart, facing eachother, with water in their mouth. Basically, you just stare at eachother the whole time, trying your best not to laugh or water will burst from your mouth. I thought that was pretty clever. Military barrier is really important during Beast, then you will get a good military grade. So, once again, do not laugh, or smile! Learn how to do that.

2.) Get used to sleeping around 10:30pm and waking up at 5 in the morning.
I mean, of course, you will eventually get adjusted to waking up early during Beast. For me, at least, I had really difficult time keeping myself awake throughout the whole day. Especially during the briefing in the auditorium, or in class, my eyes could not keep themselves open at all. I got in trouble many times keeping myself awake. For a whole month, try not take a nap. Just have a normal sleep, but do not ever take a nap. I think that would be a great training for Beast. That way, you will get used to keeping yourself awake the entire day, everyday. You can do it!

3.) Doing number 2 in a minute. (Taking a dump)
Honestly, you have very limited time to use the restroom. I mean I already have been trained to use the restroom in a minute because I was in the football team for four years in high school. So, if you usually take your time in the bathroom when you do number 2, try to practice taking care of your business as soon as possible. Just a tip of advice :)

Little things you must know and prepare:
1.) You must always cup your hands at all times during Beast. Except when you guys enter the Academic building. If you don't know what cupping hands means, basically you make a fist with thumbs covering your fingers. Upperclassmen will keep an eye on your hands at all times if you have your hands closed like you are ready to fight.

2.) 3 to 5 chews when you eat
I really struggled on this specifically, because I love eating, and I love eating A LOT! When you are on the table, the table commadant (your squad leader) will keep his or her eyes on everyone's mouth throughout the entire meal. They will scold, yell, and fix you so that you will never forget to have 3 to 5 chews. I'm not saying you should do this everytime when you eat, but just like when you eat like hamburger or anything, try at least once or twice every day. Just so that it won't be a big deal or surprise when it comes to Beast.

3.) Hit every corner when you walk in the barracks, and angle your arms 90 degrees whenever you walk up or downstairs.
This is as important as keeping 3 to 5 chews whenever you eat. I mean, of course, they will yell at you no matter what you do, but hitting every corner and angling your arms 90 degrees are very crucial factors that you should keep in mind. Honestly, after Beast, your habit of angling your arms won't go away until for a while.

4.) Greeting!
Very, very important! This is what everyone struggled on, except for those who went to USMAP prep school and prior service cadets. Because I grew up in civilian world like everyone else, I had no idea how to read the rank or the insignia engrained on upperclassmen's cover, jackets, shoulders, and etc. I had hard time distinguishing between Firsties (Seniors) and Cows (Juniors). Most of the times, I forget what color insignia Firties had and vice versa. To make your life easier, I will break it down for you.

Cows have 2 bars. Firsties have 3 bars.
Cows have white insignia on their covers. Firsties have black insignia on their covers.

It is that simple, but because you are under pressure at all times, you will forget. Just keep those in mind.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this blog! It helped me a lot to know what I might be doing if I'm a cadet. I'm pretty crazy at looking at what Cadet life is like even though I'm in 8th grade going on to 9th grade. I appreciate you doing this and to people who wants to know things like this (including me) Thank you so much!!!

Johnsaib said...

Thanks admin for sharing this information.
Westpoint Price in Pakistan

Wania Sheikh said...

I really like this blog, it is really informative, I’ll be looking forward for your next blog on bed sheet supplier in pakistan and bed sheet exporter in Pakistan

 
Your Ad Here Copyright 2008-2009 Petey Flow Group, LLC. All Rights Reserved.