Your Ad Here

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Sleeping in the Field


It was very murky, wet, cold, and just unpredictably grim. I am talking about the jungle where we camped out. I despised the condition very much, but I couldn’t really bicker when everyone else was encountering the same difficulty, if not more.
We had our ruck filled with forty pounds worth of equipments, and ammunitions. It was too dark for us to keep marching on to the destination, so we decided to stop, and set a perimeter as if we were in a real battle zone. Each company had its own area where they were supposed to secure and protect. We were in the deep forest, up in the mountain, filled with clusters of trees and insects everywhere. This was all part of the training. Every company had a perimeter set up; one cadet with his or her M16 pointing his or her target at the sector that squad leader mandated to point at; we were basically in a circle. Everyone had his or her partner next to them, and basically we rotated every two hours or so on taking part on securing the base. Basically, everyone slept only a tad bit. Although we had very little amount of sleep, we were tense and alert at all times as if we were ready to engage the enemy when confronted.
When I did get a chance to sleep, I fell asleep right away; probably the moment I wrapped my body with poncho and wet weather gear, my body knocked out. When I woke up in the morning, it was probably the coldest weather I had to face in history. I am from California, so the coldest it gets there is around sixty degrees. My entire body was wet, and everything around me was wet due to destructible dew. Imagine yourself waking up with wet clothes worn, not a very pleasant sight. Anyways, I don’t want to get into full detail of everything, just because I want you to fully experience on your own.

No comments:

 
Your Ad Here Copyright 2008-2009 Petey Flow Group, LLC. All Rights Reserved.