Your Ad Here

Sunday, November 23, 2008

1st Detail and 2nd Detail


Beast consists of two different components: First detail and second detail. Beast in my year was 7 weeks long. First detail was the first four weeks during Beast and second detail was basically the remaining weeks. So, the question is, what is the difference between first detail and second detail?

From my observation, first detail was pretty much learning all the fundamentals of “how to be a cadet.” Basically, the first four week teaches us how the structure works at West Point, how to behave and react towards upperclassmen and officers, how to read ranks and insignia, what uniform to wear and basically how to follow a leader. In second detail, majority of the times we were on the field going through combat procedures, ruck marching, handling all sorts of weapons, and pretty much gaining insights on how the system works in the battle field. Second detail was more physical in contrast to first detail. First detail was all mental game; chain of command will spew out all sorts of invective, and negative comments at you, and your mission is to overcome that without retaliating with emotions or physical action. I know I shouldn’t say this but honestly, I really enjoyed second detail because of my great ardor for handling weapons. I really felt powerful when I handled 50 cal on one of the courses; throwing grenades and the aftermath impulsive explosion kept me alive and enthusiastic as well. Many cadets despised going to the field because sleeping on the wet jungle was, excuse my language, “pain in the ass.” And for those last three weeks, we were always on Army Combat Uniform. I actually felt like a warrior and a soldier in those three weeks. Shooting targets and making decisions under pressure really taught me valuable lessons. I’m not going to get into details anymore than this, because I want you to experience on your own although I did expose a lot of secrets about Beast. Enjoy!

No comments:

 
Your Ad Here Copyright 2008-2009 Petey Flow Group, LLC. All Rights Reserved.